Tuesday 24 April 2012

But You Are a Lifer...

Welcome to my brand new blog. My name is Wyn or Wynnie (or crazy person) and I've been playing The Lord of the Rings Online for five years now...and I have both a mount and icon to prove it ;-) All in all, I have a lifetime accounts and a premium one, however I mostly play on my lifetime account (for obvious reasons).

I currently have four characters on level cap...my Minstrel Ithilwen, my Guardian Wyn (she was the very first character I created back in 2007), my Burglar Wynniekins, and my Rune-keeper / Lore-breaker Isquariel. I have to say I really enjoy the endgame contents at the moment, big yay for finally downing Lightning Tier 2, Challenge Mode in Orthanc...but for a while now I've been wondering if it's really possible to play the game without investing any money whatsoever.

So I finally decided to go and begin Project: F2P as one of my kinnies called it yesterday. Plus, I'm a completionist anyway, so levelling a new character and really doing every last bit of available content...doesn't sound half-bad.

On my main account, everything's unlocked of course, so while Wyn pretty much did everything there was in the Shadows of Angmar days, Ithil already skipped quite a bit of content (the back then infamous Everswim for example). Deeds were only done if the virtue at the end was deemed useful and as such a lot was left unfinished. And while I could go back now and do some of those deeds, the 15 Turbine points at the end aren't enough to make me do it. I get 500 per month anyway, so why bother?

On my new F2P accounts things will be different. I won't spend even a penny on it (I have a premium account already and don't want another). And I will do what I used to do on Wyn back in the days...do every quest and deed I can and probably be still in Bree by the time I hit level 25 (been there, done that).

I'm going to enter the lotteries whenever possible to get every boost I can get, and I'm also promising to myself to not go on spending sprees in the LotRO Store like I sometimes do. Just the other day for example I bought a relic removal scroll (for the full price and about four hours before it went on sale, darn it) knowing full well that I had two in my Shared Storage. If and when I buy something on the F2P account it will be only when stuff is on sale. And I'm guessing the first investment will be the Evendim quest pack. How things change, eh?

At the moment, my new minstrel Isquarieth is level 9, so one level off being able to enter the lotteries. I decided to go for a mini again as, well, it's my main and as such I sorta know how to play it, and minis can kill stuff and heal themselves...perfect combination if you ask me. However, I decided on an elven character this time, just to see how that works out.

Okay, so I think that's about it for now. Wish me luck!

Wynnie.

1 comment:

  1. Wynnie, you crazy person (you forgot "Nemesis", btw)! I myself am pretty sure I wouldn't bother with this game if I'd have started now because of F2P, but I respect your courage to try it anyway. I'll read here what 'fun' I'm missing out on.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete